Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Milestone - For Myself As Person, And As A Goth

I just realized that the website Gothic.net is following me on Twitter. This may not be as exciting as it is to me to most other goths, but I have some special reasons (and a story) as to why this has made me so happy. When I was 14, I I had just started to call myself goth. I didn't really know what kinds of things calling yourself goth actually implied, though.

I don't remember exactly how, but around the same I discovered the forum section of Gothic.net and promptly made an account. I can't recall what my username was, or the types of posts I made while I was on the forum, but I specifically remember reading other people's posts and slowly starting to learn a bit of what the "essence" of goth actually was, and the kinds of things being a goth entails. Later that year, I was given a copy of the book Gothic Charm School, and then befriended a goth who would then introduce me to the music that most influenced the subculture. (Before that I was listening to industrial, and nothing else.)

So, as you all have probably gathered by now, Gothic.net was my first real introduction to what goth culture actually is. No matter what reputation the site has to other goths, it will also hold a special place in my mind, thanks to to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment