Thursday, July 16, 2015

Random/Weird Goth Story #2 - Bela Lugosi's Dead - In My Film Class...

When I was just a little baby bat in my high school days, I was taking a very interesting English class as part of a gifted program that I was enrolled in. It was film taught as literature, which for such a visual person as I am was very beneficial for my particular learning style. Our class, at the time, was doing a unit on black and white film, and to start off the section of the unit on horror, our teacher decided to show us the 1922 vampire classic, Nosferatu. I, as a young goth with a strong affinity for vampires (especially Dracula), was very exited by this. After my teacher finished the screening for Nosferatu, I asked her if I could show her song that reminded me of the film, particularly because of some of the sounds used in the song that were very similar to those used in Nosferatu. I then mentioned that the song I had in mind was inspired by the movie Dracula, which has a direct connection with Nosferatu. The song I had in mind was no other than Bauhaus's Bela Lugosi's Dead, a goth classic that started an entire movement. To my surprise, my teacher not only let me play the song for her, but she also let me play it on the projector for the entire class to hear. I remember specifically wearing a sheer black cape (that I still have, luckily) to match some of the lyrics from the song. I then asked the class what kind of music the song sounded like. I think I remember most of them saying that it sounded punk, to which I informed them that this particular song essentially started the entire "gothic" umbrella term when it came to music. I was very proud of my little baby bat self that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment